Wednesday, 12th October 2016
Katikkiro addressing Masaza chiefs and Clan heads at Bulange
The Katikkiro of Buganda Charles Peter Mayiga has urged the public through their leaders to help protect the environment.
Katikkiro was launching the workshop for Masaza chiefs and steering committee of Clan leaders on environment and natural resource management in Buganda Kingdom that was organized by National Environment Management Authority, held at Bulange Mmengo.
Mr. Mayiga said nature has endowed us with all the resources to which maximum beneficiary are human beings, nature has full proof system of protection of all the creatures and environment subject to check on excessive pollution, cutting down trees, bush burning and resources utilization.
The public must understand the need for protecting environment and they must fight for it for they face consequences.
He said, Masaza, Clan and other political leaders should come up with a solution to the environmental problems by establishing environment protection measures and be passed on to their subjects.
He called for low bush burning measures carried out especially by farmers as the method affects the soil fertility hence leaving it bare thus leading to erosion.
Key Recommendations from the workshop
- Provide tree seedlings to Buganda Kingdom leaders to enable them promote tree planting in their respective areas.
- Actively participate in preparation of Buganda Kingdom’s Environment Day on every 2oth October in various counties.
- Prepare the state of Environment report in the Buganda Kingdom.
- Engage in indigenous tree planting in Buganda region.
- Involve the stakeholder communities in EIAs studies
- Link Buganda culture to environment and natural resource management such as putting emphasis on the value and importance of medicinal herbs such as Entaseesa.
- Support the ministry’s department of environment to implement its action plan.
- Use Buganda Kingdom structures in environment and natural resource management and empower these structures to execute this role.
- Provide user friendly information, Education and communication materials to Buganda Kingdom leaders for use in dissemination of information on environment and natural resource management.
- Promote collaborative forest resource management in Buganda Kingdom.
- Enforce forest and tree planting law.